Dementia and memory products
A charity aimed at improving the lives of people living with dementia. Its online shop has many products specifically for dementia sufferers.
- Telephone: 0300 124 0900
Provides a range of dementia aids and equipment to help people with cognitive loss, including memory aids and assistive technology.
A home care service provider that also operates an online shop selling products to make life easier for those affected by memory loss and dementia.
An online retailer selling products to assist people living with Dementia, memory loss, Parkinson’s, macular degeneration and other conditions. This includes GPS trackers, fall sensors, medication management, and easy to use smartphones and other devices.
Independent living retailers
Thousands of items are available to search online covering mobility, bathroom, kitchen and dining aids, as well as specialist and healthcare equipment. You can also see a range of the Ability products at Boundary Mills stores across the country.
- Telephone: 0800 255 0498
Ableworld is a retailer with more than 30 stores across the UK. They specialise in mobility aids and stairlifts, as well as a wide range of other independent living aids. They are endorsed as a Which? Trusted Trader for their service, installation and repairs.
The independent living section of Argos has a wide range of aids to help with mobility, home living, health and wellbeing and smart technology. Click and collect items from your nearest Sainsbury’s.
The Boots website has a section devoted to mobility and daily living aids for the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and living room. Order online for delivery or collect from your nearest branch.
Supplier of a wide range of assistive care technologies and living aids, including dementia care and products to help with falls and hearing loss.
- Telephone: 01536 264 869
Provides a wide range of products for help with hearing and vision, health and mobility, and mood and relaxation. This includes many products suitable for older people or those suffering from memory problems.
- Telephone: 01635 588370
Independent 4 Life provides specialist products to assist older and disabled people with home adaptations for increased independence in their day-to-day lives.
- Telephone: 0800 500 3001
Living Made Easy is an online comparison site for daily living equipment, with product descriptions for a wide range of independent living equipment, plus links to commercial retailers. You can contact the helpline for further information if you’re looking for a specific item of equipment. There is also a directory for local suppliers to help you search for shops in your area.
The website is run by the Disabled Living Foundation, who also developed the AskSara tool. AskSara is designed to provide impartial advice about equipment to help make daily living easier.
- Telephone: 0300 999 0004
This website has a comprehensive range of products and services designed to support independent living, including daily living aids, mobility and disability equipment, and car mobility aids.
- Telephone: 0345 121 8111
CareCo specialise in mobility scooters, wheelchairs and walking aids, with showrooms around the country to test their products. Search for other independent living products on the website.
- Telephone: 0333 015 5000
A Motability Accredited Company, Des Gosling is based in Derby and provides a range of adaptations to enable users and carers to maximise the freedom that the use of a vehicle offers. The company is the UK’s largest installer of vehicle adaptations for disabled people.
- Telephone: 01332 863742
This company leases mobility equipment for holidays, and delivers it to your required destination in the UK and abroad.
- Telephone: 0800 994 9000
Remap custom-makes innovative equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives. This includes mobility, help in the home, managing personal care, enjoying sports and hobbies, and much more.
Personal alarms and telecare
With many different providers of personal alarms and different styles, ranging from pendant, to wrist band, to GPS tracker, it’s worth comparing what each one has to offer. There are different price plans to consider, depending on your needs. Here are links to some of the main personal alarm and telecare companies in the UK.
- Appello: provides a personal alarm service with 24-hour monitoring, as well as accessories like smoke alarms and key safes.
- Canary Care: a home monitoring system that enables you to place wireless sensors around the house to monitor activity.
- Careline365: an alarm service with 24-hour monitoring that uses mobile technology rather than a landline, and includes pendant alarms and fall sensors.
- Helpline: a 24/7 monitored response service, which provides single and double personal alarm buttons and a GPS tracker.
- IndeMe: offers a personal alarm service with 24-hour monitoring, with additional options including falls alarms and smoke alarms. The service is supported by Tunstall Healthcare Ltd.
- Lifeline24: a monitored alarm service with pendant and wrist alarm buttons, with an optional falls alarm.
- Personal Alarm Watch: a personal alarm service that uses a discreet smartwatch design, with 24/7 monitoring and two-way emergency calls.
- SureSafe: a personal alarm that offers a choice of a 24/7 monitored package or a version that send alerts directly to family and friends. Products include the ‘Go Anywhere’ personal alarm that isn’t dependent on a landline.
- Taking Care: a 24-hour monitoring alarm service, which also offers fall alarms and GPS monitoring services. PPP is the provider for the Age UK personal alarm service. It is also the first telecare company to become a Which Trusted Trader Approved Service.
- Telecare24: monthly and annual plans for pendant alarm, fall alarm or Buddi GPS tracker packages.
- Telecare Choice: monthly and annual plans for pendant and wrist alarms, plus an alarm that uses mobile technology rather than a landline.
Our guide to personal alarms explains the different types available and helps you choose the right option for you:
Sight and hearing loss
The RNIB has an online shop with many products aimed at supporting blind and partially sighted people.
- Telephone: 0303 123 9999
Supplies a wide range of products, specialising in equipment for deaf and hard of hearing people and audio products.
Choosing the right independent living products can improve your safety and wellbeing, and give you greater independence.
Learn about your consumer rights when buying equipment or services for a disability or health condition from a shop, ...
If you’re aged 60 years or over and have mobility needs or a disability: you may qualify for a discount on VAT.