Eye care products from brands including ReNu, Boston, BioTrue, EasySept, Boots and Specsavers are subject to a voluntary recall due to a sterilisation compliance issue identified in manufacturing.
Parent company Bausch + Lomb has taken the decision to voluntarily recall the affected products because it cannot confirm its bottle supplier’s conformance to its sterilisation process compliance requirements.
This essentially means it doesn’t know whether some parts of the bottles have been put through the proper sterilisation process.
It said the risk of infection with these products is low, and that so far no serious adverse reactions have been recorded as a result.
Read on to see a full list of the products being recalled and what to do if you own one.
Which contact lens solutions are being recalled?
- Biotrue® multi-purpose solution (60ml, 240ml, 300ml)
- Biotrue® multi-purpose solution flight pack (60ml, 2 x 60ml)
- Biotrue® multi-purpose solution (2 x 300ml, 4 x 300 ml)
- ReNu® MPS multi-purpose solution sensitive eyes (60ml, 120ml, 240ml)
- ReNu® MPS multi-purpose solution sensitive eyes flight pack (60ml, 2 x 60ml)
- ReNu® MPS multi-purpose solution sensitive eyes (3 x 360ml, 4 x 240ml)
- ReNu® MultiPlus multi-purpose solution fresh lens comfort (60ml, 240ml, 3 x 360ml, 4 x 240ml)
- Boston SIMPLUS Multiaction Solution (120ml, 4 x 120ml)
- Boston Multi Action Solution Special Flight Pack SIMPLUS (2 x 60ml)
- Boston/Boston ADVANCE Cleaner (30ml, 4 x 30ml)
- Boston/Boston ADVANCE Conditioning Solution (120ml and 4 x 120ml)
- Boston ADVANCE Cleaner Conditioning Solution Multipack (1 x 120ml + 1 X 30ml)
- Boston ADVANCE Cleaner Conditioning Solution Starter Kit advance formula (1 x 30 ml and 1 x 10 ml)
- Sensitive Eyes contact lens solution plus Saline (500ml)
- EasySept® contact lens solution (120ml, 360ml, 3 x 360ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Contact Lens Solution (240ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals All in One Solution (60ml, 240ml, 360ml, 2 x 360ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Advanced Conditioning Solution (120ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Advanced Cleaning Solution (30ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Enhanced All in One Solution (360ml)
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Advanced Cleaning and Conditioning Solutions (3 x 120ml + 3 x 30ml , 1x60ml + 1 x 15ml)
- Specsavers easyvision ultrapurpose MPS (60ml, 3 x 240ml)
Where to buy contact lenses – Boots, Specsavers, Vision Express and Feel Good Contacts compared
What should I do if I own these recalled products?
Bausch + Lomb is advising that people who own one of the above products do the following:
- Insert your product lot number* at blrecall.expertinquiry.com to verify whether your product is impacted
- If the product is impacted, stop using it
- Follow the instructions to register your product
- After following all instructions, discard the impacted product
*the lot number will appear on the packaging, usually close to the barcode, next to the word LOT with a box around it (see an example below).
Some retailers – including Tesco and Vision Express – have already confirmed they will be offering refunds or replacements for affected products, and you should be entitled to one if you own one of the products above.
What should I do if I’ve had an adverse reaction to the product?
As previously mentioned, Bausch + Lomb has not been alerted to any serious reactions. However, if you’ve been using the product and noticed any issues with your eyes, it could be a sign you have an eye infection.
This may present as:
- Extra tears or sticky discharge
- Blurry vision
- Itching or burning
- Light sensitivity
You should stop using the product immediately and book an appointment with your optometrist as soon as possible to get your eyes checked out.