Top five best freestanding cookers for 2019
By Oli McKean
Do your dinners justice with one of our top-pick freestanding cookers – including gas, electric and dual-fuel models
The best cookers ace our tough lab tests, so you can be sure the top models we recommend cook evenly, grill beautifully and come with a hob that can boil quickly as well as simmer gently.
To help you avoid spending money on a cooker that will make preparing meals a frustrating ordeal, we've rounded up five models that we think you'll be more than happy with.
Best cooker overall
This freestanding cooker is packed with features, including the option for an oven programme that the manufacturer claims will ensure food is golden and crispy. We bake a batch of shortbread and a sponge cake to see how well the ovens distribute heat and bake. The best create well-risen, evenly cooked foods. Read the full review of this freestanding cooker to find out if it can deliver on this front.
A top-choice electric cooker
A speedy cooker is a must for a keen cook. This freestanding cooker has an induction hob, which is known for heating up food and liquids quickly. We've tested this cooker to see how long it takes for the ovens to heat up, and whether they're accurate. Read the full review to find out what they're like, and if this freestanding cooker is any good.
A top-choice gas cooker
One of the best gas cookers we've found. The main oven heats up really quickly, and the catalytic liners on the side wall mean you won't need to scrub it clean. However, the hob is very slow, taking around 10 minutes to heat up 1.5 litres of water in our tests.
Best dual-fuel cooker
Decent dual-fuel cookers can be hard to track down, so we were pleased when this one came out of our tests as a Best Buy. Both electric ovens are very accurate and the grill in the top oven is good, too. The gas hob isn't exceptional but does the job well enough.
Good value induction cooker
While not quite a Best Buy, this cooker, with its sleek induction hob, has lots to recommend it - including its price. Both ovens are accurate, and the top one especially so. The induction hob is excellent for gentle simmering, but it also supplies enough power to heat up large volumes quickly too. The grill will brown most of what you put underneath it.
Prices, recommendations and test scores correct as of July 2019.
Not found the cooker for you? Browse all of our freestanding cooker reviews.
And here are two freestanding cookers to avoid
If you choose a cooker on a whim, you risk spending your hard-earned money on poor quality.
Our extensive tests have found some freestanding cookers with inaccurate ovens and hobs that take an age to warm up your food.
Even if you don't go for a Best Buy, avoid the duds below.
Top five things to consider when choosing a freestanding cooker
If you're looking for a new freestanding cooker and don't know where to begin, the following are a good place to start:
- Type: you can have all-gas, all-electric or a dual-fuel cooker that has an electric oven and gas hob. With electric models your main choice is what kind of hob you get. Find out more by heading to our guide on gas cookers vs electric cookers.
- Price: you can buy all-gas and all-electric cookers from under £200 up to around £900. If you want an electric cooker with an induction hob, prices start from around £400. Prices for dual-fuel cookers start from around £250, but most are more than £400.
- Size: most freestanding cookers are 60cm wide, but you can also find 50cm and 55cm-wide cookers. All are roughly the same height (80cm) and depth (60-65cm).
- Capacity: manufacturers state capacity in litres, but this includes space you can't actually use for cooking (such as the area under the lowest shelf). We measure how much usable space there actually is, which we reveal in our reviews.
- Features: think about which features you need or want the most. For example, you might want a cooker with a self-cleaning programme, or a light that turns off when the oven reaches the desired temperature.
To help you compile your shortlist, take a look at our full advice on how to buy the best freestanding cooker.