We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Coronavirus Read our latest advice
Reviews based on facts
Our rigorous tests find the facts, and our impartial reviews tell you the truth about how products perform. First month £5, then £9.99 per month, cancel anytime.
Try Which?

When you click on a retailer link on our site, we may earn affiliate commission to help fund our not-for-profit mission.Find out more.

2 February 2021

International driving permits

Planning to drive abroad this year? Here’s everything you need to know about the International Driving Permit – where you need it, how to get it and what happens after Brexit
Jade Harding

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a multi-language translation of your driving licence and is required in many countries throughout the world including a number of states in the US. But like many other road laws, requiring an IDP depends on the country you plan to drive in.

If the permit is compulsory, make sure you also carry your licence along with your IDP – the permit will not be valid without it.

The IDP should not be confused with an international driving licence – a document that can be purchased online but is not an official certificate and won’t be accepted globally.

Still not booked the hire car for your trip? Here are the best and worst car hire companies.

Is a UK driving licence valid in the EU?

Yes. You can drive in all EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries using just your UK driving licence.

If you're driving your own car, you will need extra documents. These are:

  • Green Card from your insurer (must be a physical copy, so print it out if it's emailed to you)
  • GB sticker on your car
  • Vehicle log book (VC5)
  • At least six months on your passport in order to enter Europe.

Will I need to display a GB sticker? 

Yes. All UK-registered cars will need to display a GB sticker when driving in any EU country, including the Republic of Ireland. 

The white oval sticker shows the letters GB in black, standing for Great Britain. 

It will need to be displayed at the rear of vehicles registered in all parts of the UK, including Northern Ireland. 

Although Northern Ireland is not a part of Great Britain, the GB sticker is used for cars from all parts of the United Kingdom. 

The rule will still apply to drivers even if their number plate includes a GB logo. 

Will my car insurance still cover me in the EU?

Yes, but you need to take a Green Card. 

A Green Card is effectively a translation in several languages of your car insurance certificate. It is an internationally recognised confirmation that you’re covered to drive your own car outside the UK.

Ask your insurance company to provide it. If you're towing, you'll need an additional Green Card.

Your Green Card's valid for 90 days. You must carry a physical copy - so print it out if your insurer emails it to you.

Do I need an international driving permit?

A compulsory IDP will depend on where you are planning to drive. Our map below shows what countries require you to carry an IDP - hover over the countries to find out more. 

Please note: some countries have their own terms and conditions in relation to IDPs, so it’s important you research your destination prior to travelling. For example, in Brazil a certified translation is required from the Consulate for you to legally drive.

Will I need a driving permit for different countries?

There are three different permits. The one you apply for will depend on what countries you're visiting. 

  • A 1949 Convention IDP
  • A 1968 Convention IDP
  • A 1926 Convention IDP

How to get an international driving permit

Since 1 February 2019, motorists can only get a permit by personally visiting one of the 2,500 post offices that will offer the service. The Department of Transport will then issue the permit via the post office.

Prior to 1 February, you could get an IDP by mail order from the AA and the RAC, and from 89 post offices in person.

To complete the order you have to be over 18 years old and have the following with you:

  • Your full UK driving licence - photo card or older paper version licence
  • A passport-sized photo
  • Your passport if you're presenting an older paper version license
  • £5.50 application fee.

How long does it take to get an IDP?

Drivers are able to get their IDP over the counter on the same day, provided they have the supporting documents. You can also order one as early as three months prior and delay the start date of your permit, however a permit cannot be backdated. 

How much does an international driving permit cost?

Each version of the IDP costs £5.50. There are three permits in total. So if you need two permits, you will pay £11. Which one or how many you need depends on where you will be driving.

How long is an international driving permit valid?

An international driving permit is valid for one to three years from the date it’s issued, depending on the type required. If you need a permit after that time, you will then need to reapply in person for a second permit.

Is my car insured abroad?

For countries outside of the EU, you should check with your insurer to make sure your policy covers you. If it doesn’t, you can either upgrade your policy or, depending on your insurer, pay for it as an extra – this usually covers you for 30 days.

Once you’re insured you should receive a Green Card (an internationally recognised confirmation of insurance - see below) to take with you. If you don’t, make sure you request one.

Always check the terms and conditions of your cover. Some policies will cease to be valid after a certain amount of days.

Jump straight to our expert analysis of the best and worst car insurance policies

Breaking down abroad

Just like checking your insurance policy, you should also check your breakdown cover before driving abroad. Not all will protect you for overseas breakdowns.

If your policy doesn’t cover you, you can ask for additional protection at a cost. Alternatively, you can search for separate cover solely for your time abroad.

It's also important to check what you legally have to carry in different countries in case your car breaks down. For example:

  • France - reflective jackets (one for each occupant) and a warning triangle is compulsory in every vehicle. The motorways in France are also privately managed so law states that if you break down you must use the roadside emergency telephones or dial 112. The police will then send out a rescue company that will tow you to a safe area.
  • Spain - a warning triangle is compulsory, and while reflective jackets are not compulsory to carry you could be fined for walking along the road or hard shoulder without wearing one.
  • Italy - a warning triangle, reflective jackets and a spare tyre are all compulsory.
  • Germany - reflective jackets, a warning triangle and a first aid kit are all compulsory.
  • Belgium - you have to carry reflective jackets and a warning triangle in the event of a break down. If you are driving a vehicle that's registered in Belgium you also have to carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher.

Avoid breaking down in the first place by opting for a Best Buy car. Here are our expert assessments of the best cars for 2021.

View all New and used cars