Best Buy suitcases
A Best Buy suitcase will be both durable and easy to use - a Don't Buy model will fail on you when you need it the most. Whether it breaks open in the cargo hold mig-flight or lets in water to ruin your packed clothes, it's something you'll want to avoid. Our Best Buys guarantee to save you a world of stress and inconvenience.
We've tested suitcases from the most well-known luggage manufacturers, including Antler, Samsonite and Tripp, and we don't go easy on them. Our lab puts each and every suitcase through the same punishing routine to ensure that a Best Buy is a model you can trust for dozens of trips to come.
- Every suitcase is dragged along a bumpy treadmill for the equivalent of more than 10km of travel, to ensure it won't break down on you
- Suitcases not featured on this page could be prone to letting in water in our custom-constructed rain room, or will crack and puncture under pressure
- We toss around and bruise every suitcase on test to ensure that it can survive real world treatment and conditions
How we uncover the best suitcases?
Every suitcase we review goes through dozens of tests, uniquely designed by us, to find out just how well it will perform once you put it to use in the real world. You can be sure that your Best Buy will be smooth and comfortable to pull around, easy to zip up and clasp, waterproof and durable - if it doesn't tick all those boxes then it won't be featured on this page.
- Durability: A motorised steel impactor punishes the case all over to make sure it has no weak spots, and our chuck test replicates the way it might be tossed around by careless baggage handlers.
- Ease of manoeuvring: Our lab simulates all the various surfaces you'll be traversing with your potential new purchase, from flat floors and escalator steps to bumpy pavement and up and down kerbs.
- Zip strength and ease of use: Every zip on the case is repeatedly tested not only in terms of how easy it is to grab hold of and pull, but also how durable it is when standing up to impacts.
- Lifting and carrying: We even replicate the act of hauling each fully-loaded suitcase in and out of a car boot so that you can pick the model least likely to inconvenience you.
Suitcase reviews you can trust
We test the most popular suitcases on the market to make sure that you can get a definitive verdict on the model you've been eyeing up. Samsonite, Tripp, Antler, American Tourister and more all pass through our test lab, and they're all subjected to the exact same test - there's no big-name bias, and price isn't a factor.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Discover the benefits of a Which? membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help.