It's easy to get swept up in all the festive excitement and want to treat your dog to a bite of stuffing or a nibble of your mince pie on Christmas day - but resist those puppy eyes at all costs.
Part of being a responsible dog-owner is knowing what not to feed them. Certain foods can lead to illness, seizures and even death, so it's always best to avoid sharing titbits from your plate if you don't know for certain whether it's safe.
We've teamed up with the Blue Cross to reveal the forbidden foods that could do more than just add to your dog's waistline. But don't get rid of that puppy place setting just yet - we also list the safe foods that you can chuck into your dog's bowl before you start the big wash-up.
Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives belong to the allium plant family, which is poisonous to dogs. These can cause sickness and, more worryingly, damage to the red blood cells, which can lead to anaemia. So definitely no stuffing for Fido!
Macadamia nuts should be stored well away from prying paws. They can cause lethargy, increased body temperature, tremor, lameness and stiffness.
Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical which is toxic to dogs and can cause agitations, tremors and problems with the heart. The darker the chocolate the more potent the theobromine levels become. White chocolate doesn't contain enough to be toxic but will still make your dog feel sick.
Mince pies and Christmas puddings contain grapes and dried fruits such as currants, sultanas and raisins that are highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause severe kidney failure.
Artificial sweetener xylitol can induce the release of insulin, resulting in low blood sugar and sometimes liver damage. Xylitol is found in lots of things including sweets, baked goods and peanut butter. Always check the ingredients.
Leftovers. Some dogs can sniff out a mouthful of cheese a mile off, so make sure you keep your leftovers well out of reach. Mould that grows in foods such as yoghurt, bread and cheese can produce toxins that cause convulsions in dogs.
And it's not just foods you need to be careful of. Some Christmas plants can cause vomiting and stomach upsets, including:
What you need to do depends on what and how much your dog's eaten. So it's always best to get professional advice straight away.
Even small amounts can cause serious problems for our pets. So if they do eat or drink anything they shouldn't over the holidays, then do contact your vet for advice as soon as possible.'
It's not all bad news for pooches. There are still plenty of delicious safe foods that they can tuck into, including:
If your dog has health issues or allergies, make sure you check with your vet that the foods above are safe to eat.