Outfox the Market
Founded in 2017, Outfox the Market says it exists to save customers money on their energy bills.
It also claims to be committed to a world run on green energy and sells tariffs backed by 100% renewable electricity from offshore wind farms. It says it works with renewable power company Orsted to do this.
Outfox the Market frequently launches new tariffs, which are often among the cheapest on the market.
However, if you're tempted by the energy firm's bold pricing claims, you should check if it's definitely the cheapest for your energy usage and where you live. In 2019, the Advertising Standards Authority ruled against ads that appeared to suggest its tariffs were universally the cheapest, when there was insufficient evidence that this was the case.
Customers with prepayment meters can't currently join Outfox the Market. You’ll need to receive your bills electronically too.
Customers pay for 70% of their consumption between October and March, and the remaining 30% between April and September.
Read on to find out how Outfox the Market compares with more longstanding brands for price and customer service.
Outfox the Market customer score
Outfox the Market came 19th out of 35 energy companies rated by 7,355 members of the public in the annual Which? energy companies satisfaction survey – the broadest independent view of energy companies available.
Customers were most positive about the clarity of its bills and it being good value for money. However, they felt its customer service was lacking.
Outfox the Market score breakdown
The graphic beneath shows the breakdown of Outfox the Market’s score in our latest survey. Scroll down to read our verdict on this energy firm and to find out more about its prices.
Which? verdict on Outfox the Market
Outfox the Market is a newcomer to the energy market and was rated in our survey for the first time this year. Feedback reveals that customers are happier with some areas of its service than others.
Customers generally feel it lives up to its promise of saving them money, as it gained a four-star rating. No company achieved five stars this year, although 20 firms equalled Outfox the Market's four stars.
In fact, 91% of its customers in our survey said Outfox the Market was either 'good' or 'excellent' value for money. The average across all suppliers is 75%.
This is likely thanks to Outfox the Market’s tariffs often being among the cheapest listed on price comparison websites. It frequently launches new tariffs, and withdraws others, although some fixed deals come with exit fees of £30 per fuel.
Outfox the Market’s customers also rated the accuracy of its bills and how easy they are to understand as good.
However, customers gave Outfox the Market just two stars for customer service. The next highest-scoring firm to get two stars for this was ranked 10 places lower, in 29th position in our table, suggesting Outfox the Market's customers are willing to accept the trade-off between price and customer service.
Some 24% of Outfox the Market’s customers in our survey rated its customer service as 'poor' or 'very poor'. While this wasn’t the worst (31% of bottom-of-the-table Together Energy's customers rate its service in this way), it’s much worse than the average of 10% across all suppliers in our survey.
However, when we included Outfox the Market in our it was the second-fastest to respond on live chat, in just 41 seconds, on average. Across all 12 firms included for live chat, 2mins 40secs was the average response time.
On the phone, it took 4mins 4secs on average to pick up. This was below the average across all 36 firms (4mins 24secs); but the fastest firm, So Energy, answered calls in just 38 seconds, on average.
Although it’s quick to respond, its poor customer service score suggests that customers aren’t so impressed with the response they receive.
We didn’t get enough responses to rate how Outfox the Market handles complaints, nor has it yet published any data on how fast it responds to them.
Comments left by customers paint a mixed picture.
Outfox the Market received an average rating for its online tools. It doesn’t currently have an app, but is in the final stages of developing one, according to its website.
Pros: Competitive prices, fast to respond on live chat
Cons: Customers are unimpressed with customer service, doesn't supply prepayment meters