Best Buy smartwatches
We test smartwatches more thoroughly than any one else, to ensure that our smartwatch reviews help you steer clear of watches that cost hundreds but deliver pitiful battery life, dull screens and inaccurate fitness tracking.
Only the very best models that top our independent lab tests earn our Best Buy recommendation. We’ll only recommend a smartwatch if it offers real benefits above and beyond simply using your smartphone. Because if a smartwatch is impossible to pair with your phone and difficult to use, lacks crucial features and has a battery that can’t last a whole day, then there’s no point in wearing it.
- Convenience is key, which is why our smartwatch tests involve checking how easily a smartwatch will connect to a mobile phone,which notifications are delivered from the smartphone to the watch and if sending responses to text messages or taking calls is any easier than just using your mobile.
- We assess how easy it is to customise your watch – including changing the watch face, swapping the strap if it breaks or you just fancy a change, or filtering which notifications you receive.
- We test the battery life to uncover how long each watch really lasts on a full charge and how long it will take you to recharge it.
Unimpressive battery life, uncomfortable bands and lacking in useful features - avoid these smartwatches and join Which? to access all our expert reviews of the latest smartwatches. Already a member? Log in now to see our extensive smartwatch reviews.
How we uncover the best smartwatches
Our experts run all kinds of tests designed to find out whether a smartwatch lives up to all the claims made by manufacturers. You can be sure that the highest scoring smartwatches really do deliver, with great features, easy-to-access notifications that display in a sensible, customisable way and have a battery that won’t let you down
- Notifications: We check whether notifications from popular services, such as WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter, display clearly on the watch and whether you can filter which ones you do and don't want to receive. We also check the reliability with which a smartwatch receives notifications, so you can be sure you don’t miss a thing.
- Fitness tracking: Many smartwatches have fitness-tracking features built in, such as step counters and heart rate monitors. We test how accurate these features are and how easy it is to check your fitness data on your watch and in the mobile app.
- Apps: Most smartwatches come with pre-installed apps and fitness-tracking software. We check how simple it is to open apps and whether it’s easy – or possible at all – to customise your smartwatch adding new apps.
Smartwatch reviews you can trust
Models from the biggest fitness tracker brands on the market are tested in our test lab - including Apple, Fitbit, Garmin, Huawei and Samsung. And we’ve found that the most well-known brands aren’t always the best.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We're not influenced by third parties and we don't accept freebies from product manufacturers or retailers. We buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.