A Section 21 notice must always give tenants on a fixed tenancy at least two months’ notice to leave your property.

You also cannot use a Section 21 notice if you have not given the tenants copies of:

  • the property’s Energy Performance Certificate
  • a current gas safety record for the property
  • the government’s ‘How to Rent’ guide

You must also use form 6A to make a section 21 notice.

Read our guide on the dos and don’ts of serving a section 21 notice before using this letter template.

If you don’t follow the process carefully, you might not be able to take possession of your property.

Download Letter

[Tenant name], [DD/MM/YYYY]

Dear [Name of tenant],
Re: [Address of property to vacate]

I would like to inform you that, by virtue of Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, I require possession of the above property after [DD/MM/YYYY].

If convenient, I would like to do an initial check of the property, and the inventory, with you on [DD/MM].

This should allow us time to sort out any discrepancies before the end of the tenancy.

On [DD/MM] we can also discuss the exact arrangements for the hand back of the property on [DD/MM].

I hope you’ve been happy in the property and I wish you well for the future.

I will give you a ring shortly to confirm about calling round on [DD/MM].

Yours sincerely,
[Landlord name]

Download Letter

Find the right letter

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.