1 Is the router part of your contract?

In this case, your claim is against your broadband service provider as the supplier of the router. 

The Consumer Right Act says that in addition to providing the broadband service with reasonable skill and care, your broadband provider has to ensure the router is as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. 

This Act replaces the Supply of Goods and Services Act, which still applies if you got your router before 1 October 2015.

You can ask for a repair or a replacement although in practice, your broadband provider may choose the cheaper of the two options. 

If the router was 'free' when you signed up to the broadband contract, then it’s still part of that contract and you’ll still have the same legal rights to have it repaired or replaced.


2 Did you buy the router yourself?

If you bought the router on its own, then your contract is with the retailer that sold it to you. 

Under the Consumer Rights Act the router must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. 

You're entitled to ask for a refund if the router develops a fault and you reject it within 30 days of purchase.

If the fault develops after this timeframe then you can ask for a repair or replacement.

See our guide to get a refund, repair or replacement for a faulty product.

3 Use the manufacturer’s guarantee

In addition to your rights under the Consumer Rights Act, your router will normally have a manufacturer’s guarantee. 

You could claim on this if your router develops a fault during the guarantee period. 

You won’t necessarily be able to choose how you want the problem resolved as the guarantee may, for example, say that the manufacturer can choose whether to repair or replace it.

Your rights against the retailer are completely separate to the guarantee and they don’t come to an end just because the guarantee has.

4 Make a chargeback claim

If your router cost less than £100 or you paid for it by debit card, you may be able to use the chargeback system to claim your money back. You can ask your bank to try to claw back the money you paid.

If you bought your router with a credit card you may be able to take up the matter with your credit card company - as long as the router cost more than £100. 

If your card company can't resolve your complaint, or you're not happy with how it's dealt with your claim you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.