We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Consumer Rights.

Updated: 19 Jan 2022

How to complain to the ombudsman about a mobile phone provider

Got an unresolved dispute with your mobile provider? An ombudsman could help. Follow this step-by-step guide on how to take a complaint to them.
Which?Editorial team

1 Complain to the company

Try to resolve the dispute by explaining your problem and what you want done about it. If your mobile phone provider has its own internal complaints procedure, follow it.

2 Get a letter of deadlock

If your mobile provider refuses to do what you ask to sort out the problem, ask for a ‘letter of deadlock’ to show you've done all you can to  resolve the complaint. 

If the mobile company fails to respond to this final letter within a reasonable period of time (say, 14 days), you can take your complaint to the ombudsman.

3 Find the correct ombudsman

There are two ombudsman services that deal with mobile phone complaints - Cisas and Ombudsman Services: Communications. 

Find out which one your mobile provider belongs to, as this will be the one you'll need to use to escalate your complaint. 

These ombudsman schemes only deal with complaints about mobile service providers, not about other mobile phone retailers such as third party sellers like the Carphone Warehouse, for example. 

4 Contact the ombudsman

Contact the ombudsman to find out how to submit a complaint. Different ombudsmen have different procedures – some may ask you to fill out a complaint form, while for others you need only write a letter outlining your problem. 

If it’s the latter make sure you include the following information:

  • Your name and address (or the name and address of the person making the complaint)
  • The name and address of the organisation the complaint is being made about
  • Details of what your complaint is about, including exactly what the company did that it shouldn’t have (or what it didn’t do that it should have done)
  • What you've lost in terms of personal injustice, financial loss, hardship or inconvenience
  • What you would like the organisation to do to put things right, and details of what you've done so far to try to resolve the complaint
  • Include copies of any relevant letters, emails, invoices or receipts

Contact Cisas

You can submit a complaint to Cisas through their online claim form.

If you have any issues, you can contact them on +44 (0)20 7520 3814

Contact Ombudsman Services: Communications

The best way to contact the Ombudsman Services: Communications is by using its online complaint form.

If you have questions or would like to speak to someone you can call 0330 440 1614 or email at enquiry@ombudsman-services.org.

Or you can contact them by post:

Ombudsman Services: Communications
PO Box 730

5 Await a decision in writing

The ombudsman will look at the evidence provided by both sides. 

They might contact you for more information, but there isn’t a hearing, as there is with a court case.

Once the ombudsman has made its decision it will write to you and the company with details of the ‘award’. 

If the award is in your favour (they agree with your complaint), this will include details of what the company must do to put things right.