I was mis-sold a card protection policy but I'm not in the CPP redress scheme

The CPP Compensation Scheme was closed on 28th February 2015. But in some cases it may still be possible for you to pursue a claim.

Can I still make a claim?

Claim forms should have been issued during February 2014 for all CPP customers who bought policies after 2005. The deadline for returning these forms was February 2015.

But in some cases you may still be able to make a claim if any of the following applies:

  • Your policy covered a period before January 2005
  • Your policy come from a company other than CPP
  • You were left out of the redress scheme and shouldn’t have been

If you've answered yes to any of these, you may be able to pursue a claim. 

Contact the company

If your policy covered a period before January 2005, or if your policy came from a company other than CPP, you may wish to contact your bank to pursue a claim.

If your policy is with another company, you can also complain directly to the company itself.

You may need to ask your bank for the name of your provider if you thought you were dealing directly with your bank.

The common providers are CPP, PrivacyGuard, Experian and Sentinel.  

Contact the FOS

If your policy was sold before 2005 or you’ve complained to another provider, and your complaint hasn’t been resolved within eight weeks, or has rejected it, you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). 

The FOS is free to use and details of the ombudsman should be listed in your provider’s final letter.

All complaints for CPP policies sold after 2005 are being dealt with as part of the CPP redress scheme so there should be no reason to refer the complaint to the FOS.

The provider is bound by the FOS’s findings, and from 1 April 2013, the amount a company must pay for complaints made against it has increased to £550 (£900 for PPI cases).

If you accept the ombudsman’s decision, it's legally binding on both you and the insurance provider.

If you don't accept the decision, then it's not binding on you, and you're free to pursue the matter through the courts.

Although the decision is not binding on you, it is on the company, who cannot challenge it in the court.

Top tips

  • If your policy was sold pre-January 2005, or if it was sold through another company, you can contact your bank to make a claim
  • If your provider rejects your claim, you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

Go to the small claims court

If you’re dissatisfied with a FOS decision, you can consider court action.

It's worth seriously considering whether a judge is likely to rule any differently than the FOS ruling and the potential costs involved in pursuing it through the courts.

The maximum amount you can claim through the small claims court in England and Wales is £10,000 -  it’s £2,000 in Northern Ireland or £3,000 in Scotland.

For more information, see our guide to making a small claims court claim.

'We deserve better banks'

Join our campaign
& help us reach 100,000 signatures

Banks could do so much more to help you get the most out of your money. The big players in the market need to up their game, and the competition inquiry must ensure banks are held to account for how they treat their customers.

Find out more about Better banks on Which? Campaigns

Thank you for signing our campaign

Help us spread the word by sharing our campaign


Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.