1 Warranty terms

Check the terms of your warranty carefully so you know exactly who is providing the cover.

2 Contact the warranty provider

Contact the warranty provider and quote the section of the policy document that makes it clear that the remedial work you need doing is covered.

If the warranty provider refuses to arrange, or pay for the repairs, ask it to set out in writing exactly why it considers that it's not responsible.

3 Obtain quotes

If the warranty provider doesn’t give a good reason for refusing the claim or doesn’t respond to you at all, obtain quotes (ideally three) for carrying out the work. 

Send these to the warranty provider explaining that if it continues to refuse to carry out the work that you will instruct the repairer you have obtained the quote from and will claim the cost back from them if necessary.

4 Financial Ombudsman Service 

You could refer the dispute to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if you've bought an extended warranty. 

You won't be able to refer your complaint to the FOS if it's just a standard manufacturer's guarantee.

You will need to have exhausted the warranty provider’s internal complaints procedure first or be able to show that more than eight weeks has passed since you referred your complaint to the insurance company and that the matter remains unresolved.

See our guide on how to complain to FOS

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.