Can I cancel my holiday due to unrest or natural disaster?

You’re unlikely to be able to claim a refund if you cancel a trip because of safety fears unless the FCO advises against travel. Find out your options here.

FCO advice

Whether you can cancel a holiday because of civil unrest or natural disaster will depend on the advice given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) at the time.

If the FCO says it's unsafe to travel, most tour operators will cancel your trip and find you a suitable equivalent holiday or give you a refund.

However, if the FCO says travel may be safe, your tour operator may decide to go ahead even though you don’t want to.

Essential travel

As long as your travel operator can provide a safe, secure and enjoyable holiday then they are not obligated to give you a refund or find you an alternative trip.

If the FCO has not advised against all but essential travel to the area, your insurance company is also unlikely to pay out if you decide to cancel or curtail your trip because of safety fears.

Package holidays

If you've booked a package holiday you may be able to claim that your enjoyment and relaxation would be ruined under the Package Travel Regulations.

This would give you grounds to cancel a holiday and seek compensation. 

Or, if you decide to go ahead and travel then you may be able to seek damages for the loss of enjoyment and relaxation while you're there.

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK