1 Ask the Ebay seller for a refund

If you bought from a private Ebay seller, whether or not you're entitled to a refund will depend on the description of the goods.

If the seller made any statements about the quality of the item - for example, described them as being 'new' or 'in excellent condition' and they weren't, then you could argue the goods weren’t as described and the seller is in breach of contract.

When you buy privately the requirement under the Consumer Rights Act for goods to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose doesn't apply. But they should be as described. 

2 Check conditions of sale

Check the Ebay seller's conditions of sale - did they voluntarily offer any sort of returns policy that you could invoke?

If you bought from a business seller on Ebay and your item is faulty, the seller will be in breach of contract. 

Explain to the seller that the item was not of satisfactory quality and ask for a refund or replacement. 

You can use this letter template to ask a business seller on Ebay for a refund or replacement. 

3 Raise a dispute with Ebay

If you have a valid claim that the seller won't resolve, consider raising a dispute through the Ebay Buyer Protection process.

Ebay has changed their Buyer Protection policy to a Money Back Guarantee policy. 

The Ebay Money Back Guarantee policy requires you to return the goods to the seller or, if they're fake, Ebay may ask you to destroy them.

If your claim is successful, you'll be responsible for the cost of returning the item, which may be a factor if the item was particularly heavy or bulky.

Paying by credit card If you paid by credit card and the item cost more than £100, but not more than £30,000, you may be able to make a claim with your card company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.  

Paying by debit card or by credit card for under £100 If you paid by debit card or by credit card and the item cost less than £100, you may be able to ask your card provider to reverse the transaction using chargeback. You can still use chargeback for credit card payments over £100, but it is advisable to try Section 75 first. Section 75 is enshrined in law, whereas chargeback is part of Scheme Rules, which participating banks subscribe to. 

Small claims court You could take the dispute to the small claims court if the amount involved is less than £10,000 in England and Wales or £3,000 in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Find out more about what you should know beforehand you are thinking about the small claims court in our guide.

However, both sides should carefully consider whether there is a system of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) that could resolve the dispute rather than going to court. For example, Ebay Money Back Guarantee policy.

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.