We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Consumer Rights.

Updated: 30 Nov 2021

How to complain to your credit card company about a faulty product

If you want to make a claim to your credit card provider about a faulty product, our guide explains how to contact the company and how to escalate the complaint.
Which?Editorial team

1 Write to your card company

If you have a problem with something you've bought with a credit card, you may want to take up the matter with your credit card provider rather than the retailer. 

This could be because the retailer has refused to help, hasn't answered your letters or has gone bust. 

Write to your credit provider with the date and full details of the transaction and the basis on which you're saying there has been a breach of contract or misrepresentation.

Also include what you want done about it - for example, if you want a refund. Explain any contact you've had with the retailer about the matter. Give the creditor a reasonable time to respond, say, 14 days.


Top Tips

  • Write to your credit card company with clear details of what you're claiming for and what you'd like the credit card company to do
  • If your credit card company refuses to help, you can take your complaint to the ombudsman

2 Escalate your complaint

If your credit provider doesn't respond, or if it refuses your claim, ask for the matter to be moved to the next stage of the company’s internal complaints procedure or issue a final letter of deadlock.

This means you'll be able to take your claim to the Financial Ombudsman. 

Warn your credit card provider that if it does neither you'll refer your dispute to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

3 Use the Financial Ombudsman Service

You have the right to go to the Financial Ombudsman if you reach 'deadlock' with the credit provider, or if more than eight weeks have passed from when you submitted your claim without receiving a substantive response.

Going to the Financial Ombudsman is completely free and you only need complete a simple claim form.

If the Ombudsman agrees with your claim it can order the credit provider to compensate you (up to £100,000). If you're not happy with the Ombudsman's decision you are still free to go to court.

4 Taking a claim to court

Court action should be used as a last resort only. And, where there is a recognised alternative means for dispute resolution - such as the FOS - you will need to use this first. Otherwise the judge may ask why you didn't use it. 

You can go to court if you don't accept the final decision of the FOS. But you should consider very carefully the reasons it gave for finding against you and you should question whether a court is likely to reach a different decision.