Who do I complain to about my pension scheme?

On this page we explain who to complain to and how to seek help if you have a complaint about your pension scheme or pension provider.

Go direct to your provider

You should write to your provider and ask them to respond to your complaint. 

If your complaint is against the trustees or managers of an occupational pension scheme, you need to ask them to deal with your complaint under the scheme’s internal dispute resolution procedure (IDRP).

The scheme’s administrator should be able to give you details of the IDRP.

If you need further help

You should also approach the Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) who can help you to try and resolve your complaint with your provider. 

Complain to the ombudsman

If your provider has failed to respond to your complaint, or you feel hasn't done so fairly, you can escalate your issue to the Pensions Ombudsman (PO)

The ombudsman only deals with complaints about occupational and personal pension schemes. It doesn't deal with complaints relating to state pensions.

For complaints relating to state pensions it is best to approach TPAS.

Pensions megaphone

Join our campaign
& help us reach 63,000 signatures

We campaigned to get pension fees under control. The Government announced plans to reform the pensions market and consulted with businesses and consumer groups on proposed changes, including a cap on charges. On the 27 March 2014, the Government confirmed it will cap pension charges at 0.75%.
Find out more about Pensions on Which? Campaigns

Thank you for signing our campaign

Help us spread the word by sharing our campaign

Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.