Best Buy breast pumps
A Best Buy breast pump will be comfortable and easy to use, efficient and not too noisy. Find out which are our best on test.
Don't waste money on a breast pump that is painful to use, complicated to fathom out and makes so much noise that expressing in a quiet corner at work is going to be out of the question.
Which? independent reviews give you the lowdown on the breast pumps that make expressing more of a pleasure.
We combine lab testing with insight from mums, so you know that a Best Buy breast pump really is the best.
- We’ve compiled unique survey information from more than 500 breast pump users to bring you the most highly recommended manual and electric breast pumps.
- In our lab we test all the practical aspects of using a breast pump.
- Our lab tests consider the things you can't tell in a shop – such as how long the cable is if you need to be near a power source, how noisy the pump is, and the shape and material of the breast shield.
How we uncover the best breast pumps
Which? breast pump testing is unique – we combining unique lab testing and insight from more than 500 breast pump users to produce reviews you can trust.
- Comfort We combine unique survey data from 542 mums with a series of tough lab tests to assess the comfort of each breast pump, including factors such as grip, pumping action, and the shape and material of the breast shield.
- Ease of use We look at how easy it is to assemble each breast pump for the first time, as well as once you're more experienced at using it, taking into account the quality of the instructions. We also check the length of the power cord for electric pumps, so you don't have to sit by a power source, and assess the ease of cleaning and drying the pump and bottles.
- Noise Does the pump sound like a motorbike, a cow or a mouse squeaking? Will it be so quiet that you can use it next to your sleeping baby. Our experts conduct sound tests to assess noise levels emitted by the pump when they're in use.
- Performance We run power tests to check battery life for electric pumps. We also test the weight and stability of the pump – checking whether it's heavy to hold, and whether it falls over when full.
Breast pump reviews you can trust
We lab-test models from the biggest brands – including Medela, Philips Avent and Tommee Tippee – to discover the things you need to know before you take a pump home. As well as giving you an insight into how satisfied mums are with their brand of breast pump, and whether they'd recommend it to a friend, our independent experts assess potential pitfalls that could leave you crying out spilt milk - such as how heavy the pump is, how stable it is and whether it will tip over when it's full.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
Discover the benefits of a Which? membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help.