We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies as per our policy which also explains how to change your preferences.

More from Which?

Other sources of information relating to this subject on the Which? website.
What is identity theft?
How to get your money back after a scam
I keep getting unwanted calls and text messages, what can I do?
Call blockers
Block nuisance calls
Consumer contracts regulations
How to avoid postal scams
I've been mis-led by a doorstep seller, what should I do?
Which? recommended antivirus software
Staying safe on social media

Campaign to safeguard us from scams

Fraud is now at record levels, with more than five million scams costing Brits a mind-boggling £9bn each year. While there are sensible steps we can all take to protect ourselves and older relatives and friends, an unfair burden has been placed on the public. Which? is urging the government to take the lead and ensure companies safeguard us all from scams. Sign up to the campaign here.

Age UK

Charity providing information, advice and support for the elderly.
Tel: 0800 169 6565 (advice line)

Action Fraud

UK’s National Fraud reporting centre. They monitor and investigate cases of fraud. If you’ve been scammed or conned, let them know.
Tel: 0300 123 2040

Citizens Advice

For advice on consumer law or reporting unscrupulous traders.
Tel: 03454 04 05 06

Financial Ombudsman

Independent service to help consumers resolve disputes with financial organisations such as banks and building societies. 
Tel: 0800 023 4 567


Independent regulator of the UK communications industry. Offers advice about nuisance calls and texts.

Guide to nuisance calls 

UK Premium rate services regulator. Report any scams related to premium rate numbers to them.
Tel: 0800 500 212


Free, confidential 24-hour phone line for older people. People can call anytime for advice, information or simply a chat.
0800 4 70 80 90

Think Jessica

Support and advice for victims of postal scams.

Which? Consumer Rights

Expert advice to help you solve consumer problems.

Which? Trusted Traders

Search for a recommended trader in your local area.

Page last reviewed: May 2017
Next review due: November 2019