When you click on a retailer link on our site, we may earn affiliate commission to help fund our not-for-profit mission. Find out more.
Despite the year we’ve had, the Black Friday sales are still shaping up to a good time to bag a bargain, and Sim-only deals are typically on offer from all the big providers.
We’ve trawled through them to find the very best. Check out our highlights below, browse all the deals from each provider, and find out how to make sure you’re picking up the right Sim.
Be sure to check our list of the best and worst UK mobile networks to get the full story behind your provider.
Our pick of the best Black Friday Sim-only deals
Below you’ll find a roundup of all the deals on offer this Black Friday for Sim-only plans. Minutes and messages are unlimited, so your decision will come down to which network you want, and how much data you’ll use. Here’s our pick of the very best.
Best light data user Sim-only deals
£6 per month – 3GB data – the average user uses about 3GB data and £6 is a good price for people who don’t use much data. There are a few to choose from that offer it.
- iD Mobile (Three’s network) has the benefit of a one month rolling contract.
- Plusnet (EE’s network) is the same, but you get a 2GB data boost if you also have Plusnet broadband.
- Sky Mobile (O2’s network) is also worth a mention – it only offers 2GB for £6, but data rolls over, so if you’re a really light user all the data you don’t use is stored for up to three years. This isn’t actually a Black Friday deal, so it’s worth considering even when there isn’t a sale on.
Best medium data user Sim-only deals
- £10 per month – 20GB of data with iD Mobile (Three’s network). This is the best value medium data Sim around, though you’ll have to sign up for a 12-month contract.
- £13 per month – 36GB of data with Virgin Mobile (EE’s network). If you need a little more data, this is a good deal – currently six times the usual amount, on a 12-month contract.
Best heavy data user Sim-only deals
- £16 per month – Unlimited data with iD Mobile (Three’s network). iD completes the hat trick with a superb deal for unlimited data, though on a 12-month contract.
Bonus heavy data deal
If you’re keen on the Vodafone network and are a heavy data user, mobiles.co.uk is offering 100GB of data for £16 per month, but this includes £54 cashback, which brings the total down to the equivalent of £11.50 a month. Cashback deals are a bit awkward – you’ll need to send your bills into mobiles.co.uk as instructed in order to qualify, so read the terms and conditions carefully if you opt for this one. You’ll find it at mobiles.co.uk.
Best Sim-only deals for Black Friday 2020
If the highlights don’t take your fancy, read on for our full round-up of this year’s Black Friday Sim-only deals.
iD Mobile Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
iD has a range of pretty decent deals this Black Friday, and unlike many others is offering 1-month rolling plans so you don’t need to tie yourself down.
Most of these are pretty straightforward – you’ll get more data than you would usually if you take up one of its limited time offers. iD runs on Three’s mobile network, so it’d be beneficial to know if you get good coverage for Three in your area. Our mobile coverage map can help.
- £6 per month – 3GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 1 month contract.
- £8 per month – 10GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 1 month contract.
- £10 per month – 20GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
- £14 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
- £16 per month – Unlimited Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
Are the deals any good? These are some of the cheapest deals we’ve seen this Black Friday. If you’re only a light data user, you’ll get 1GB and 2GB of extra data respectively on the £6 and £8 plans as part of this deal.
Heavy users are also well catered for on 12-month contracts. These are offering double the regular data for a limited time.
Three Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
For Black Friday, Three is offering unlimited data plans for what it claims is its ‘Best ever pricing’ at £17. For those uninterested in unlimited data, Three is also offering 12GB of data at £10 per month. For both plans, the price is the same whether you take out a 24-month or 12-month plan.
Three’s plans also come with 5G, unlimited personal hotspot and roaming at more than 70 destinations at no extra cost.
- £10 per month – 12GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12/24-month contract.
- £17 per month – Unlimited Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12/24-month contract.
Are the deals any good? An unlimited 5G plan at £17 per month is nothing to dismiss, even if 5G is still in its infancy.
However, price is not everything and customers gave us mixed reviews of Three in our customer satisfaction survey.
Also, be sure to use our coverage map to check Three’s 4G coverage as it is not as extensive as the coverage offered by other networks.
Tesco Mobile Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
As part of Tesco’s wider Black Friday deals, Tesco Mobile has introduced a trio of competitive Sim-only deals. The headline deal gives customers unlimited data with a 33% discount from its usual price. It runs on O2’s mobile network.
- £12.50 per month – 20GB Data, 5000 Minutes, 18-month contract.
- £15 per month – 50GB Data, 5000 Minutes, 18-month contract.
- £20 per month – Unlimited Data, 5000 Minutes, 18-month contract
Are the deals any good? Although on a longer 18-month contract, these deals are pretty competitive. In our opinion, the best value may not actually be found in the unlimited data package but in the 50GB package. Most people will find 50GB more than enough and the five pounds savings may pay for something else (e.g. a streaming service)
Sky Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
Sky only has a few Sim-only deals this year, but they’re worth a look for lower data users. Sky TV customers can also watch Sky TV on the go without using data. Sky runs on O2’s mobile network.
- £6 per month – 2GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
- £8 per month – 8GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
- £15 per month – 25GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract.
- £30 per month – 30GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract (50% off with any phone).
Are the deals any good? £8 for 8GB of data is a pretty good deal, though if you’re a really low data user you may end up paying more for something you won’t use. The £15 25GB deal is currently £10 off, which is a good saving if the amount suits your needs.
The £30 plan looks like a good deal if you’re also interested in purchasing a phone from Sky, as you’ll only pay £15 per month. In truth though, it’s only 5GB more than the £15 deal anyway, and since it’s only available on Sky’s Swap 24 plan, you’ll be entering a 36-month contract.
Vodafone Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
Vodafone has a range of 5G-ready Sim-only deals available this Black Friday, and they’re worth a look if you’re a high data user or are interested in roaming or entertainment perks, which include a choice of YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Spotify.
- £18 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready)
- £25 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready) + a choice of YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Spotify for duration of contract.
- £20 per month – Unlimited Data and Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready, speeds capped at 10Mb)
- £23 per month – Unlimited Data and Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready)
- £27 per month – Unlimited Data and Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready, speeds capped at 10Mb) + a choice of YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Spotify for duration of contract.
- £30 per month – Unlimited Data and Minutes, 24-month contract (5G ready) + a choice of YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Spotify for duration of contract.
Are the deals any good? There’s quite a lot to pick apart here, and it’s largely dependent on whether you’ll use the benefits (and the data). In addition to the perks listed above, the £23 and £30 packages are not speed restricted – the others are capped at 10Mbps, though this may still be fast enough for most people. These two packages also offer 81 roam-free destinations to use your phone abroad, whereas the others offer 51. You can read more at the link to Vodafone’s deals below, to see if they apply to countries you’re interested in visiting.
A 24-month contract is a long time to be tied down, but if you’d expect to use large amounts of data during this period, especially with one of the streaming services provided, you might find it good value.
BT Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
BT is doubling-down on Black Friday this year, quite literally. A range of Black Friday Sim specials now offer double the data for the same price. Plus you’ll get use of the BT Sport app on your phone with some, and save an extra £5 per month if you have BT Broadband. BT runs on EE’s mobile network.
- £15 per month – 20GB Data, Unlimited Minutes
- £20 per month – 50GB Data, Unlimited Minutes – includes BT Sport app, worth £10 per month
- £25 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes – includes BT Sport app, worth £10 per month
- £14 per month – 6GB Data, Unlimited Minutes
- £17 per month – 15GB Data, Unlimited Minutes
- £20 per month – 30GB Data, Unlimited Minutes – includes BT Sport app, worth £10 per month
- £25 per month – 60GB Data, Unlimited Minutes – includes BT Sport app, worth £10 per month
Are the deals any good? Not especially. The higher data options might look appealing if you’re a BT customer, with £5 off and use of the BT Sport app. But there are cheaper deals around for the same or even more data, so you are in effect paying for BT Sport.
If you’re still tempted, read our BT Mobile review before you buy – some customers weren’t too happy with aspects of its service in our regular survey. Or, head straight to BT’s Black Friday Sim-only deals.
O2 Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
In what it claims are it’s ‘best Black Friday deals ever’, O2 is giving customers two 5G-ready deals with the headline deal being 150GB for £20 a month. Both deals also come with Disney+ for six months, with a value of £35.94.
Read more: What can I watch with Disney+?
- £10 per month – 10GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 18-month contract (Includes six months of Disney+)
- £18 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 18-month contract (Includes six months of Disney+)
- £20 per month – 150GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract (Includes six months of Disney+)
Are the deals any good?: For those who don’t mind committing to a longer contract, the two high data deals at 100GB and 150GB are pretty decent and the free six months of Disney+ is a nice extra.
However, the Disney+ offer auto-renews at £5.99 if you do not cancel your membership, so keep an eye on that and cancel if you don’t want to keep Disney+ after six months.
EE Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
As part of its pre-Christmas deals, EE is offering two big data deals which can get you up to 200GB worth of 5G-ready data for up to £23. Customers who choose the 200GB package can also pay two pounds more a month and choose from one of six ‘Smart Benefits’ with a value of up to £10 a month including Apple Music, Amazon Prime Video, BT Sport Ultimate and Britbox, roaming passports or unlimited video data.
- £20 per month – 100GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 24-month contract
- £23 per month – 200GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 24-month contract
- £25 per month – 200GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 24-month contract (Includes Smart Benefit)
Are the deals any good?: For those looking for high data-only deals, there is definitely some value to be found, especially for the £25 package if you are someone who already has a relevant subscription. For example, if you have an Apple Music subscription and take out the 100GB plan, you would be paying £29.99 versus £25 if you take out the 200GB data. So you get double the data, the same subscription (although you may have to cancel and resign up) and save £5 a month.
If you are a low-data user, these deals are probably not worth your time, and you’re likely to get better value shopping elsewhere.
Virgin Mobile Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
This year, Virgin Mobile is offering four Sim-only deals, with the pick of the bunch being the 6x data boost on the £13 package, which now gets you 36GB worth of data. Virgin Mobile runs on EE’s mobile network.
- £6 per month – 3GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract
- £10 per month – 10GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract
- £13 per month – 36GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract (6x data boost)
- £22 per month – 50GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 12-month contract (6x data boost)
Are the deals any good?: These deals are definitely more of a mixed bag, mostly because you can get some of them on a similar basis with a 30-day contract. However, the headline 36GB package is certainly a decent deal and gives you a good return for a 12-month commitment.
Virgin Mobile did receive poor reviews from its customers on aspects such as customer service in our survey, so if this is a concern, read our review before making a decision.
Plusnet Mobile Black Friday 2020 Sim-only deals
For Black Friday, Plusnet is running three deals giving customers from 3GB for £6 a month up to 12GB of data for £10 a month. Plusnet Broadband customers can get up to 3GB extra data on top of the original deal for an added extra data boost. Plusnet runs on EE’s mobile network.
- £6 per month – 3GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 30-day contract (2GB data boost for broadband customers)
- £8 per month – 8GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 30-day contract (2GB data boost for broadband customers)
- £10 per month – 12GB Data, Unlimited Minutes, 30-day contract (3GB data boost for broadband customers)
Are the deals any good?: When you consider the contract length and returns you are getting in terms of data and minutes, it is pretty hard to find better pound-for-pound deals.
Plusnet, being owned by BT/EE, is also on the EE network and so coverage is unlikely to be an issue. These are deals definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a new Sim-only Black Friday deal.
How to get the best deal on a new mobile contract
There are a range of things to consider when shopping for a new Sim-only deal.
Work out if you’ll benefit
You’ll need to decide whether you prefer to be on a rolling monthly plan that offers the flexibility of changing at any time, or tying yourself down to a contract period – typically 12 or 18 months.
We’d expect to see better deals on contracts. Typically providers offer money off the usual monthly fee as part of a Black Friday promotion, or a data boost for the same price. You might also see streaming services added in at no extra cost: last year Vodafone offered a choice of Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, NOW TV and Sky Sports Mobile with its Entertainment bundles.
Compare and contrast though – if you won’t use the extra data, or the streaming service, you may still be better off with a rolling monthly Sim, if you can get it at a good price. We can help you work out how much data and how many minutes you really need, so you can see if you could settle for a smaller and cheaper bundle.
Read our guide to TV streaming services for reviews of Netflix, Britbox, Disney + and more.
Are you better off with a phone on contract?
Black Friday will also bring its fair share of contract deals, so if you’re in the market for a new phone, it’s worth looking at these as well. If you can afford to purchase a handset outright and get a Sim-only deal, it’s often cheaper in the long run, but this isn’t always the case.
5G or no 5G?
As the new super-fast standard, expect to see deals on 5G Sims this Black Friday. You’ll need a 5G-compatible phone to use it, though thankfully this needn’t cost much – you can now find models for under £300.
Should you stay or should you go?
If you’ve found a deal that you like, but you’re otherwise happy with your provider, you might be a bit reluctant to switch. You could try haggling with your mobile provider to see if they can match or better the deal, but if they won’t, switching might be your best option. Fortunately it’s pretty easy to do – our guide on how to switch mobile network provider explains how.
Get to know your new provider
Before you switch, it’s worth looking into your new provider to make sure they tick the boxes. We regularly survey customers of 13 major mobile networks to find out their views on everything from customer service and ease of contacting the provider. Read our Our detailed mobile provider reviews for more.
You can read more about Sim-only packages in our guide to getting the best Sim-only deal, which has a round-up of the best deals each month.
What to look out for on Black Friday
At Which?, we will be across all the Black Friday deals from all the most popular retailers.
Check our Black Friday insider’s guide to find out all the deals, whether you are on the lookout for a new TV or appliance.
We will be keeping you up to date with all the deals and you can be sure that all the products we score have done well in our independent lab tests – although we recommend you take a look at our rigorous reviews to see if it’s right for you.