Update for 6 October 2019
- Lidl has a new cordless vacuum deal in stores from today. The Candy 22V cordless vacuum cleaner costs £80, and has a 20 minute claimed run time.
- It’s apparently down from £130, but we haven’t seen it on sale anywhere else. In fact, you’d be hard pressed to find a Candy vacuum anywhere. However, we’ve done some digging and we think it’s similar to the Hoover Freedom Lite FD22L cordless vacuum, as the brands are owned by the same company.
- You can get this model for a similar price in other retailers. It’s £84 in Currys and on Amazon at the moment, so it is slightly cheaper in Lidl.
Make sure you check our Hoover Freedom Lite review first to get an idea of whether this model is worth snapping up or not.
Update for 23 September 2019
- Lidl is selling a slightly different cordless vacuum cleaner for £50 from Sunday 29 September 2019. You can get our first impressions in the newer Lidl cordless vacuum story.
31 August 2018
If you’ve been hankering after a cordless vacuum cleaner, but have been put off by the high prices, you might want to make a trip to your nearest Lidl this Sunday, as the budget supermarket is selling a dirt-cheap cordless vacuum as part of its regular special offers programme.
The Lidl Silvercrest Handheld and Upright cordless vacuum costs £50 and has a similar design to popular premium cordless offerings from Dyson. The small vacuum body doubles up as a handheld vacuum, and has a long stick attachment for floor cleaning.
It comes with a selection of mini tools for tackling sofas, stairs, cars and crevices, and a handy wall mount for storage and charging.
At £50, it’s a quarter of the price of the cheapest Dyson vacuum, and about as cheap as it gets for a cordless vacuum. But does it actually clean well?
We took this cheap vacuum home to try it out. Head to our Lidl cordless vacuum first look review to get our verdict.
Lidl cordless vacuum: is it a good deal?
On the face of it, this is a pretty serious bargain. It’s hard to find a cordless vacuum in this convertible handheld design at the £50 mark. You’ll usually need to pay at least £90.
The cheapest cordless models usually stick to the older design that looks more like a compact upright vacuum and has a small pull-out handheld vacuum unit. This is less versatile for things such as cleaning up high and getting into tight corners.
Here’s what you need to know about the specifications of this Lidl vacuum:
- Battery type: lithium ion
- Run time: 20 minutes (30 minutes on eco mode)
- Charge time: 3.5 hours
- Dust capacity: 0.7 litres
- Filtration: HEPA 13
- Accessories: combination floor tool, crevice tool, large and small dusting brushes, wall bracket
- Warranty: 3 years
Again, these are impressive stats for a model at this price point.
Cheaper cordless vacuums often have less powerful or slower-to-charge batteries, so having a lithium ion battery (the best type) with a relatively quick charge time is a bonus. And, while you’ll get longer run times on some more expensive models, 20-30 minutes is decent enough.
The three-year warranty is longer than many big brands offer, too. Dyson offers a two-year guarantee on its cordless vacuums.
Based on specs alone, this Lidl vacuum looks to be a deal worth having. But features don’t mean anything if it can’t clean properly. Make sure you check our Lidl cordless vacuum first look review to find out whether it sucked up dust and dirt effectively in our tryout, and get our verdict on whether it’s worth buying.
Finding the best cheap cordless vacuum cleaner
Cordless vacuum cleaners have become incredibly popular, thanks to their light and manoeuvrable design. However, cordless technology doesn’t usually come cheap. Many big-name cordless brands’ ranges start from £200 and go up to more than £500.
If you’re looking to spend less, getting a decent model can prove tricky. While we have found poor performers at every price point, our tests have shown that cheap cordless vacuums, in particular, are a minefield of dodgy cleaners. There are a few stand-out cheaper models that do a decent job of cleaning, but there are many more that are dreadful. Head to our cordless vacuum cleaner reviews to discover the best options for your budget.
25 Don’t Buy cordless vacuums to avoid – find out which models to steer clear of