Car insurance Which? Recommended Providers
Few insurers are good enough to be Which? Recommended Providers. To be recommended by Which?, a car insurer must satisfy our experts that its standard policy offers good cover and it must also satisfy its customers through great customer service.
Which? experts scrutinised 30 car insurers’ standard car insurance policies, and combined our analysis of cover with feedback from thousands of drivers. We have rated each policy on its key aspects, including amount of cover provided, to produce a Which? policy score as well as a customer score, based on how they were rated by customers.
Separately, we also asked customers to tell us about their claims experience, which has been rated as a claims satisfaction score.
To qualify as a Which? Recommended Provider, an insurer must:
- Be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
- Be available to the general public
- Have received responses from 30 or more customers in our customer survey
- Have received an average or above policy score (see table for current average score) and a customer score of 70% or above
Click on the WRPs in the table below to see full details of its customer score and policy elements. Table updated every six months. Next updated in December 2014. For more information about individual policies read our car insurance reviews.
|Which? Recommended car insurers|
|Insurer||Which? Recommended Provider||Minimum-Maximum age for new customers||Customer score||Which? policy score||Total score|
|John Lewis Insuranceb||17-99||70%||79%||75%|
|The Co-operative Insurance||17-75||68%||68%||68%|
|The AAb||17-No limit||60%||74%||67%|
|Marks & Spencer Bankb||17-85||65%||68%||66%|
|More Than||18-No limit||61%||69%||65%|
|Direct Line||16-No limit||63%||63%||63%|
|The Post Officeb||17-99||59%||63%||61%|
|Axa Insurance||19-No limit||58%||62%||60%|
|Lloyds Bank||Underwriter dependent||58%||60%||59%|
|Kwik Fitb||17-No limit||52%||57%||55%|
Customer score data based on a survey of 5,059 policyholders in May 2014. Policy scores are based on the provider's standard policy. All policies are available to the general public.
- Policies only available via direct sales forces and local agents and may not cover all risks or postcodes (particularly in major cities). Check on 0800 3164661.
- Policy is underwritten by a partner insurer or panel of partner insurers.
How we calculate customer and policy scores
We calculated the customer scores and claims satisfaction scores using a combination of overall customer satisfaction and the likelihood of recommending the provider to a friend.
We calculated the policy scores by rating the most important elements of the policy including personal belongings limit, renewal fees and interest charged on payment by installments.
The total score combines both the customer score and policy score.
- Customer satisfaction - car insurance policies rated by customer satisfaction
- Car insurance reviews - detailed policy information for all the major car insurance providers
- Car insurance - how it works and what does it cover - our guide to the basics
Which Ltd is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Which? Mortgage Advisers, Which? Insurance Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited.