Best and worst car insurance
By Dean Sobers
Choosing car insurance shouldn't just involve browsing price comparison sites for the cheapest premium. Find out which insurers offer the best cover.
Our short video explains the three steps you should take in order to find the best policy for you.
Which? experts scrutinised 34 car insurers’ standard car insurance policies, and we surveyed thousands of policyholders. We've rated each policy on its key aspects to produce a Which? policy score, and our customer score is based on how the insurers were rated by their customers.
This review reveals which insurers came out best for cover and customer service, and which scored the worst. To access this review and thousands of others, sign up for a £1 Which? trial. Or if you're already a member, log in now to see our reviews.
Which? Recommended Providers for car insurance
We reviewed some of the biggest insurers in the market including: AA, Admiral, Aviva, Axa, Direct Line, Esure, More Than, Tesco and Saga.
However, only a few insurers are good enough to be Which? Recommended Providers - they have to combine good cover with great customer service.
To be a Which? Recommended Provider, an insurer must:
- Be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Be available to the general public
- Have received responses from 30 or more customers in our survey
- Have received an average or above policy score (see table for current average score) and a customer score of 70% or above.
- Last updated: September 2016
- Updated by: Dean Sobers