We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Financing care
Learn about funding options for home care, home adaptations and care homes, together with Attendance Allowance, gifting assets and Power of Attorney.
Housing options
Consider your options and learn about sheltered housing, retirement villages and care homes.
End of life
Guidance on the practical and emotional aspects at the end of life, from planning end of life care to arranging a funeral and coping with bereavement.

Frank's story

Read Frank’s story about the financial support he has had from his local authority to make home adaptations.
3 min read
In this article
Understanding the system Form filling

In Frank’s words…

I’ve had two strokes and I have type 2 diabetes and, more recently, a triple heart bypass. I couldn’t be discharged from hospital until the discharge team had made adaptations or had checked out the house.


The repairs and adaptations were done by the council in the main. One is a stair lift, which is designed to swivel at the top landing so that my feet can go down on a firm surface. The cost of that was £6,500, paid for by the council. They said, ‘We’ll put in a downstairs loo,’ and they did lots of handrail supports all over the house. Decking was put in to completely flatten out a slope outside so that we could put bins out safely and access the garage.


There’s a bath chair that rises and lowers by remote control so I can get in and out of the bath. There’s a bed head lift, which is typical of a hospital bed that lifts the pillows so that I can get in and out of the bed more easily and be more comfortable. There’s also a bed rail, which is a most used, most valuable device and probably the cheapest. It helps me get out of bed with minimal assistance. It’s quite a catalogue, isn’t it?

Understanding the system

But finding your way through the labyrinth of different departments at the local council takes real skill. They tend to be autonomous, they tend not to talk to each other, they don’t communicate well. I’m dealt with by the adult section of the social care department, but when I need something doing, such as a handrail putting up or a stair lift putting in, that has to come from the repairs and adaptations department.


When I needed a chair from which I could be lifted to avoid my blood pressure going up and being made breathless because of my heart condition, that was another department. 

Form filling

Each department has their own application forms, some of which are 45 pages long, most of which are means related. I hold all my data on a computer ready to be lifted from the last application and dropped into the new application, which is very valuable.

I hold all my data on a computer ready to be lifted from the last application and dropped into the new application.

You have to know how to fill in the forms and even when you’ve done so and they say, ‘Sorry, but you’re not having it,’ you’ve got to know how to appeal and to whom to appeal. I’ve got pretty good at that. I had to appeal three times for my chair.


I also asked the council for a scooter and they said, ‘No, we can’t.’ Then I had to write about 20 letters to 20 different charities, most of which replied in the negative, but two were positive and provided £2,000 towards the scooter, plus £500 from me. I first started applying in March and the scooter was delivered in August, so like most things to do with charities and social workers, it can take a few weeks."

Receive expert guidance on caring for older people. Our emails are free and you can stop them any time.
Similar real-life stories
Tina's story
Read Tina’s story about adapting part of her home for her mother-in-law who suffered a stroke.
Nigel's story
When Nigel’s mother’s needs changed he contacted the local authority to find out what care and support was ...
Use our calculator to find out how much you might pay a home care agency in your area and what financial support is available.

Further reading

Last updated: 04 Sep 2019