We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies as per our policy which also explains how to change your preferences.

Here's a list of relevant organisations and charities you might find helpful as a carer at work.


Help and advice on employment rights.
Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Website: www.acas.org.uk

Carers UK

A national charity championing carers’ rights that offers information and advice to carers.
Adviceline: 0808 808 7777
Website: www.carersuk.org
Quarterly magazine: Caring magazine

Carers Trust

A charity supporting unpaid carers, both young and old, with links to local support networks.
Website: www.carers.org

Carers Direct (NHS)

NHS help and support for carers
Telephone: 0300 123 1053
Website: www.nhs.uk/carersdirect


To get details of government policy throughout the UK.
Website (UK): www.gov.uk
Website (Northern Ireland): www.northernireland.gov.uk
Website (Scotland): www.scotland.gov.uk
Website (Wales): www.wales.gov.uk

For government information on how to make a claim to an employment tribunal: www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals

For information on carers' rights to flexible working in Northern Ireland: www.nidirect.gov.uk/flexible-working

Trades Union Congress (TUC)

Federation with contact details for the majority of trade unions in Britain, who may be able to support you at work.
Website: www.tuc.org.uk/britains-unions

Page last reviewed: October 2017