We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies as per our policy which also explains how to change your preferences.

Mothercare recalls ‘My First Keys’ amid battery swallowing fears

The battery is a swallowing hazard and could fall out because of a faulty design in certain batches

Mothercare is recalling its popular ‘My First Keys’ toy amid fears the battery compartment isn’t secure and the button cell battery could fall out.

If accidentally swallowed, the small, round button cell batteries can get lodged in a child’s oesophagus and burn a hole through the lining.

The affected ‘My First Keys’ were sold in Mothercare stores and on its website from June 2017 through to April this year.

Only the toys with a batch code of 02-161024, 02-161205 and 02-170509 are affected by this recall. All other versions are unaffected.

See the image below for where to find the batch code.


The specifics of the recall

  • Product code: 914353
  • Style number: MG262
  • Batch codes: 02-161024, 02-161205 and 02-170509

If you own one of these toys, Mothercare said to stop using it immediately and return your product to a store, where a full refund will be given.

If you have any queries, please contact Mothercare via email on product.safety@mothercare.com. The retailer said: ‘All queries will be answered within 24 hours on receipt of the email.

‘This action has been taken to ensure the safety and well-being of our customers and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.’

Get a refund, repair or replacement

If you become aware that a product you own has been recalled or has any safety notice issued against it, you have product recall rights.

You shouldn’t be charged for any recall work, such as a repair to your machine or collection of the product.

You should be offered a refund, repair or replacement for your faulty product.

Your rights if your child suffered injury from the toy’s fault

According to the Consumer Protection Act 1987, anyone who is harmed by an unsafe product can sue the manufacturer. That’s true even if you didn’t buy the product yourself.

You can sue for compensation in the event of death or injury. You can also sue for damage or loss of private property caused by faulty goods if the damage amounts to at least £275.

Read our free guide on the Consumer Protection Act for more information on your right to claim compensation if you’ve suffered injury as a result of a faulty product.

Back to top
Back to top